The Gavin Chronicles, September 21, 2007



Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31


Happy Friday Everyone!!

Gavin is 3 weeks old today and doing well. He is weaning once again from the Fentanyl drip and holding his own this time. I believe the intent is to have him completely off of the drip by Saturday. He is still tolerating his feeds well although last night he did puke up some of what went down. I told the nurse I think he had a hairball....not sure if she found me funny or not. Anyway, they suctioned him after he threw up and he was fine and tolerated the next 2 feedings just fine. He is still feeding at a rate of 1cc every 6 hours. The tenative plan is to increase that to 1cc every 3 hours in the next day or 2. Gavin's sodium level was a bit low yesterday so they gave him a sodium bolice this morning. This is very common with preemies because their systems are not always developed when they are born. He weighed in last night at 1lb 10.9oz...that means only 5 more ounces and he hits the 2lb mark!!! Colin says he is a beef cake now...I personally just think he has adorable little cheeks!

This week has been a whirlwind of emotions for our family. Colin returned to work on Monday after a long break of 3 weeks. The contract he is on with Lockheed Martin is up and was put out for re-bid. Lockheed was not able to bid the contract and it was awarded to another company. Effective Tuesday of next week Colin will be working for another company. The stressful part of this is that Colin had 10 years of service with Lockheed Martin and the new company is not willing to recognize the tenure. He starts at ground one with 2 weeks vacation whereas he had worked up to quite a bit more within Lockheed. The benefits with the new company are questionable and it remains to be seen how it will work for our family. Colin is now in the process of looking for new employment. I truly believe that the Lord will guide us in this process and watch over us in the coming months. He had a great interview this morning and I am sure there will be more to come.

Please continue to pray for our family. Pray for strength and healing for Gavin that he can continue to grow and get stronger every day. Pray for Colin that he would find a new job that is more suited to him and our family. Pray for myself for strength to manage day to day life with 2 kids, a preemie and a family. We are so appreciative of all of the love and support we have received thus far. I know the Lord hears our prayers and he does answer. I feel kind of like I hog his attention these days and we really are on a first name basis. He is used to me interrupting him and saying I can't wait I need to talk now....one of these days he may tell me to take a number.......but for now I will continue to send up my prayers.....

I will continue to update on Gavin with pictures and details. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments: