The Gavin Chronicles, October 1, 2007












This is the day the Lord has made....Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy Monday to all!

I realized over the weekend that I had neglected to update and I was receiving emails of concern over my absence.

I first would like to start by saying "Praise the Lord for Poop" You prayed and he provided. The Lord is good with Gavin's prayer warriors. Now, that being said, we have a lot of poop and the nurses are having a hard time keeping the bag affixed so it doesn't go all over. Seems like Gavin knows now is a good time to make a huge mess cause mommy isn't the one cleaning it up. Now, I am certain he will never do this once he comes home . He is now up to full feedings and is tolerating it well. Every 3 hours Gavin gets 13cc of breast milk. Seems like a huge amount I know but to keep it in perspective for you.....5cc is a teaspoon. They have taken him off of all of his IV's now and it seems so surreal to not see the IV stand next to his bed anymore. Gavin no longer needs IV nutrition as all of his nutrition now comes from his feeds. He remains on a prophylactic dose of penicillin for his kidney reflux. He has also been receiving random doses of Decadron to help with his sodium levels and also to aid with his continuous peeing. He seems to be holding his own with his glucose levels now that his IV fluids have been discontinued. Gavin weighs in at 1lb 10oz now.

We had a pretty full weekend here but the weather was beautiful. Brooke had a soccer game on Saturday and she ran like crazy. Ian was able to spend the night with his good friend Dylan and he was thrilled. Colin was able to clean the garage and our cars actually fit in it now.....and it hasn't even snowed yet. I walked with the scouts yesterday working on popcorn sales here in the neighborhood.

The Lord continues to provide for us daily. The church here in Castle Rock so graciously provided us with meals for 2 full weeks. Ian's school will now begin to provide some meals for us for the coming weeks. I could not be more thankful for these people. Every day when we get home we have no worries about food because someone has brought us dinner. This is a huge thing as some nights we are not home and eating dinner til close to 8pm or later.

I was able to attend church yesterday and emotionally I kept it together. I was quite pleased with myself for not crying with anyone......and we saw and spoke to many, who tried to get me to cry. Bethany has been so supportive of our family during this difficult time. I am so thankful to have such a wonderful church home filled with loving and caring people.

The big news for the weekend that I need to share with you is that in the coming days Gavin will have another ambulance ride. He will be transported back to Littleton Hospital where he will be for quite some time. Months I would presume. His job at Littleton is to feed and to grow. We are so excited to have him move back to Littleton and the kids cannot wait to see their brother again. I think Gavin is a little excited too cause mom told him ambulances are cool and when he gets older he can chase them with her. He knows all about mommy and her ambulance chasing thrills......he also knows daddy just rolls his eyes at mommy when she tells him to drive faster so we can see the accident.....

Colin is settling in at work with his new employer. They are in transition and the new company is learning what Tricare and Ecommerce is all about. He will continue his job search with hopes of finding something in the near future. Until then, we are just thankful that he is employed and has insurance benefits that we are able to utilize.

For today we are rejoicing in Gavin's progress.......we are thanking the Lord for providing for us both emotionally, nutritionally and also physically. We rejoice in the friends that we have and we stand in awe of God's grace working in our lives.

Thanks again to each and everyone of you for your love and support. Words cannot express what it means to us on a daily basis. I have kept all of the email correspondence and I will put it with Gavin's baby book. Some day he will have the ability to read them himself and realize all the wonderful people who surrounded him with love when he was born. At some point I would like to know how many of the 50 states we have reached with Gavin's story. I think it would be fun to share with him when he gets older. So, if you are reading this email let us know where you are from......I will compile the list and then I will publish it for you to see.....then everyone can see the power of God's dynamic love in Gavin's and our lives right now.

I will continue to update as I know more. I have included a few new pictures for you to see.....

No comments: