Sunday August 30, 2009











And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28
Hello to all of our wonderful family and friends-

Two years ago, as I lay in a hospital bed.....hooked up to monitors and listening to my unborn child's heart beat away, I had a lot of time to think. Time for personal reflection if you will. The past few days, amongst the flutter of birthday activity, I have spent some time reflecting as well.

Those of you who have been with us for our journey know that I am very fond of the verse "Be still and know that I am God" This verse held me grounded on many a day that I so badly wanted to crumble.

In my reflecting over the past few days what I have come to realize is that in the stillness, God is my captain! My GPS of sorts. A Garmin sorta guy! What amazes me though is that we have a Garmin. That in itself is not amazing. We call "her" Sally the trusty tour guide. Sally knows everything about how to get anyplace. When we get in our car and Sally talks, we listen. And, we certainly don't argue with Sally's directions, because, well, she knows what is best for us in our navigations. So what I have been reflecting upon for my own life is this.....If I can trust Sally, why do I struggle some days with trusting God. Why do I question his direction for me when things get tough? I don't question him when things are going good.....I thank him. This topic has been on my mind for the past few days.

When I look at Gavin I am reminded that our God is an awesome God. I am reminded that in the tough times I DO need to be still! I am reminded that his mercies are new every day! I am reminded that he will never leave us nor forsake us. I am reminded that I should in every way and in every thought trust him with the navigation of my life.....just as I trust Sally. Afterall, he knows the plans he has for us.....plans to prosper us and not harm us, plans to give us hope and a future.

Two years ago, the Lord set us on an incredible journey. A journey of faith and trust. What an incredible, blessed journey this has been. Tomorrow we embark on yet another chapter in our journey. I think God would find it ok if I personally entitled this chapter....."The Terrible Two's"

So, as we enter our new chapter I am excited.....about what our future holds. Now, don't get me wrong....I am scared too! Any one of you who know my Gavin should be scared right along with me. Scared because my kid.....he knows who is in charge. He knows that God is bigger than the boogey man. He knows that with God all things are possible. And he knows that if he falls.....and if he gets hurt.......and if he goes by ambulance......we have the best prayer warriors around! He also knows, that our God answers those prayers! We know that too! But what scares me the most about what he knows.....he knows to Fear NOT!! And Fear NOT he does! And, he does it well!

And so, as a new chapter unfolds I am making a committment to trust my navigation system...my GPS kinda guy, he knows whats best for me. Lord, I will praise you in the storm......and today, I thank you for the storms......because through these storms, we have blossomed and grown.

Gavin has grown this year too! He has grown into a wonderful, loving, funny, adorable, witty, fearless, cute, cuddly, sneaky, energetic little man! With personality! He always has a smile on his face. He is always curious. He is always into something. And, he always has NO fear! He is walking.....well running! He is starting to talk more and more each day. He is growing. He is changing. And, he continues to amaze us every day!

At last check, 2 weeks ago, after a hospital admission, Gavin weighed in at around 17 lbs. He is somewhere near 30 inches long and his head is getting bigger by the moment. Head circumferance....I have no clue! He is still seeing his physical therapist Beth, although, he may be discontinued soon.....because his gross motor skills have advanced very nicely. He will be starting speech therapy next week and we are excited for him to learn more words and be able to express himself. Check back with me later on this one.....I may regret being excited cause he may talk all the time very soon! We will most likely be adding occupational therapy to Gavin's routine as well. This will help him with his fine motor skills, which are getting better, however, are not quite there yet. We have been given the go ahead to discontinue his thyroid meds because he no longer needs them. He does however, remain on the sodium bicarbonate for his renal tubular acidosis. He officially can wear a size 12mo in clothes and a size 3 in shoes. I love him to wear baseball hats.....but alas, he hates them. He is learning to eat with a spoon and fork and he absolutely loves a good food fight......especially if he knows it will make you laugh! He loves cars and balls and all things boy. His favorite food is Mac and Cheese with pizza as a close second...cheese of course! He is a milk snob through and through and will NOT drink his milk unless it has VANILLA carnation instant breakfast in it! All other milk is, well, subpar to him! He has learned how to ride on his ride on and his feet actually reach the ground now. He loves to ride in the wagon and thinks he is a big kid and can run in the street with his siblings when they play. He is a cuddly sorta fellow, giving hugs and kisses freely.....mulitple times a day. He loves to climb on the back of the couch and stand on the arms of the couch too....and laugh cause he knows it scares the heck out of you! He hates to swing at the park but loves to slide. Oh, and climb too! He is a chic magnet and loves to flirt! He loves to be outdoors and cries when he has to come in. He is a good sleeper but not so great of an eater these days. He is a happy, well adjusted 2 year old.....because, our God is an awesome God! He has big plans for our little man.....and we are just along for the ride.....but now I know, to trust my navigation system....because, it has never led me astray!

Happy birthday to our big boy! Mommy and Daddy are so proud to call you ours! We love you more and more each day! And to all of our family and friends, thank you for your continued love and support. Without all of you, we would be lost many days. You are our support through good and bad and you have shown your unfailing love for us time and time again.

So here's to a new year......and a new chapter......and exciting things that lie ahead!

Peace and Love-
Colin, Juanita, Ian, Brooke and Gavin



No comments: